www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index www.mowatwilson.org
Mowat-Wilson Syndrome Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oral Aversions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Oral Aversions Reply with quote

I'm the mother of a 4 month old who has been preliminarily diagnosed with MWS (we're still waiting blood tests to confirm). I have seen lots of talk about oral aversions lately and would like to take a poll...

Please let me know whether your child has an oral aversion, at what age that aversion started, and if you have any suspicions about what may have caused it (e.g. an NG-tube, excessive medical procedures in the face area, lack of experience with oral exploration at a normal age, etc.).

Also, please let me know if your child does not have an oral aversion, how long that child has had speech pathology therapy and if you have any suspicions as to why your child may not have an oral aversion (which, I'm sure is a strange question to think about).

Thanks so much,
Sandra
Mom to Brendan (6); Rita (4); Victoria (2); Gabbi (4 mo, MWS)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Oral Aversions Reply with quote

I found this on line and was going to email it to you but it was an interesting article and decided to post it instead. It is a posting from another forum.
Dave & Deby

Our son is eighteen months old. He cannot eat any solid food without vomiting. The other day, he licked a french fry and vomited. He is only on formula and we add rice cereal to the bottle to give him a little substance. He wants to eat our food, but can't keep it down. He has had a throat x-ray with no abnormalties. He also babbles and doesn't say any words except Dad or Mom. We have tried stage two baby foods, and sometimes he can keep it down. HELP

It sounds like your child may need a feeding evaluation and therapy. There are two possible things to rule-out: reflux versus oral aversion. Possible signs/symptoms of reflux include frequent spit-ups/vomiting, residue around mouth, or irritability/arching with feeds (consult your doctor if this is suspected). Oral aversion may be behavioral or sensory based. Behavioral oral aversion simply means a child has developed a negative association with foods (i.e., gags/vomits at the sight of food). Children present with refusal behaviors which may include crying, gagging, vomiting, turning head, and distractibility at mealtimes. Sensory based oral aversions involve difficulty with a specific texture (i.e., refuses any consistency which has lumps). Both types of oral aversion should be addressed by a speech-language pathologist (with feeding experience) or an occupational therapist.
Optimally, children should progress in the following order: formula,formula with rice cereal, Stage I (thin baby food), Stage II (thicker baby food), Stage III (lumpy and textured), junior foods, and regular table foods. Each consistency assists with the progression to the next. Once your child will accept Stage II baby foods consistently, slowly add textures (small pieces of bananas to Stage II ). Additionally, consistency is the key. Provide structured mealtimes (in high chair or booster seat), ignoring negative behaviors (i.e., gagging, crying, etc). Establish routine feed times and most of all, always make mealtime FUN! Allow messiness and play with food (i.e., smear baby food on tray and allow child to put hands in). Feeding therapy may provide further assistance with techniques for battling oral aversions.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi im a father of my first son who has mws he doesnt eat solids , he wont let u go near his mouth with them or liquids but he will have chocolate

darrenxx jack nearly 2 (mws)
JoanL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is now 16, Lauren and she has mostly grown out of the oral/mouthing everything she put her hands on. She still will not eat ice cream or very cold foods. This was a constant mouthing that she would do but even till today every once in a while I will catch her with something in her mouth, just mouthing it... a toy, video case, etc. She is much more tolerable with toothbrushing than she was but still not totally. She hates the dentist, dont we all. She does not like having her hair brushed, faced washed but she tolerates all this after all these years.
Joan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: