www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index www.mowatwilson.org
Mowat-Wilson Syndrome Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Mowat Wilson genetic or hereditary?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellys sister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Is Mowat Wilson genetic or hereditary? Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find much information at all on MWS. It sounds like no one really has which is unfortunate. My older sister has MWS (finally diagnosed after about 29 years!) she is now 31.

I'm 29 and our younger sister is 23.

Before my husband and I start our own family, should I get genetic testing done to see if I'm a carrier of MWS?

Also, I would like to start a foundation for MWS and start raising awareness because I know there are many more families out there that still have not found a diagnosis. These kids (and adults) are amazing and bring so much love into our lives and I would love for more people to understand MWS.

~Jami
mwilson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jami,
Here is a link to the latest infromation sheet on MWS. It might help answer your quesions.
http://www.mowatwilson.org/Biography%20Files/MOWAT-WILSON%20SYNDROME%2012-05.pdf
You can find it on the links page of the website.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jami,
I have been told by my genetic physician that MW is not a recessive syndrome meaning that my children do not have an increased chance of having a child with MW. Their chances of having a child with MW are the same as the general public. Maybe you should seek out genetic info from Dr. David Mowat, he is listed on the info re: MW and he is a wonderful person who always answers my emails.
Take Care, Joan, NY.......Lauren 15, Chris 23, Melissa 19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Jami,
Dr. Mowat's address is MowatD@SESAHS.NSW.GOV.AV. Let me know is you get him??
Joan
David Mowat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Mowat Wilson genetic or hereditary? Reply with quote

Dear Jami, the best email address for me is <d.mowat@unsw.edu.au>. I will be away untilt eh 9th January.

Best Wishes

David Mowat

Kellys sister wrote:
I haven't been able to find much information at all on MWS. It sounds like no one really has which is unfortunate. My older sister has MWS (finally diagnosed after about 29 years!) she is now 31.

I'm 29 and our younger sister is 23.

Before my husband and I start our own family, should I get genetic testing done to see if I'm a carrier of MWS?

Also, I would like to start a foundation for MWS and start raising awareness because I know there are many more families out there that still have not found a diagnosis. These kids (and adults) are amazing and bring so much love into our lives and I would love for more people to understand MWS.

~Jami
Kellys sister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone for your information and links!

Dr. Mowat, I will email you. Thank you!

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!
~Jami
nanamom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Foundation Reply with quote

Jami

I too have been wanting to start a foundation. Where are you located, maybe we can work together and start one and get the news out there. I have a son who will be 10 in April that was just diagnosed on Sept 28, 2006 with MWS.

Melissa
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: