www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index www.mowatwilson.org
Mowat-Wilson Syndrome Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*Communication

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwilson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: *Communication Reply with quote

My son is almost 6 yrs old and has MWS. Like so many others, whose stories I have read, Ryan seems to understand a lot and I was wondering whether any of you would like to share success stories (or otherwise!) of how their child communicates. We are working with PECS (Picture Exchange) in its early form using large photos of food and objects which Ryan will give us in exchange for the real thing. He certainly seems to have got the hang of the idea. Would love to hear how anyone else has got on.
Sarah, Cheltenham

Last edited by mwilson on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mwilson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Communication Reply with quote

We also have a son with mws. He was diagnosed about 3 years ago and he is now 10 years old. His speech remains limited and fairly unrecognisable, unless you know him. Callum has profound learning difficulties along with many medical complications, typical to this syndrome. Since he was 3 we have been using Makaton (a form of sign language modified and simplified for children with learning difficulties) He understands many signs and is able to communicate back with over 120 signs now. We have found that the more signs he picks up the less frustrated he becomes. The difficulty is that we know they understand so much. I'm sure if callum could talk, he would just go on for ever! Hayley noon. 64 miller way, exminster, exeter.devon. ex6 8th
i.noon@virgin.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.mowatwilson.org Forum Index -> MWS Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: